18 holes - 6420 yards - SSS71
The West Links was originally six holes and a seventh was added before it was extended to 18 holes in 1877. By 1895 the course was lengthened, and today measures 6420 yards S.S.S 71. Not the longest, but the trickery of the course requires the full repertoire of shot making. A true links course laid out on a raised-beach, laden with brown sand forming the undulating links land 10 to 30 feet above sea level. The course has been described as from a 'Primitive Age' relating to a period from the beginning of the game to the invention of the gutta-percha in 1848. The West Links is of great antiquity and has it's place among a very special group of courses which evolved naturally and owe little to the hand of man.
To find out more